Skip to main content

Granola - a healthy breakfast


Long time no see, dear Reader. So many things have happened in the last few weeks, on a personal level and on a global level, that I won't bore you with details. Those of you that know me know, those of you that don't know me don't necessarily want to know. And so it is that I'll move on directly to the recipe. (Just let me say yay! for Obama's victory)

It is inspired by Nigella's latest granola recipe in Nigella Christmas, a book you know you want, even if you don't really need it. It is a Christmassy twist on her granola recipe from Feast. I made Andy Fairfield's granola (or was it Andy's Fairfield Granola???) and besides the fact that I nearly let it burn, I didn't like the cinnamonney undertones. So even if it is seasonal, I left it out here too. Then I proceeded to weigh the ingredients, but found that there were way too many sunflower and sesame seeds for my taste, so cut those down, then added some grated coconut, and instead of using honey, I used agave syrup and a little tub of baby pear and apple sauce (100g), all by eye, not really measuring, until the cereal became clumpy enough. I found out again that mine needed much less oven time so beware!


For the Feast granola recipe in metrics, click here to Not Quite Nigella's delightful blog, for imperial measurements, click here.

I used about :
225g rolled oats (the small type)
30 g sesame seeds
30g sunflower seeds
50 g golden caster sugar (or a bit more perhaps)
a large handful of unblanched chopped almonds
3 tbsp of coconut
a tsp Maldon salt flakes
100g of pear and apple sauce (unsweetened)
3-4 tbsp of agave syrup

Mix everything well, spread on baking sheet, bake for 20 mins in 170°C oven, mix and spread again, bake on for 15-20 mins and perhaps mix again, your granola should be golden brown all over, depending on your oven. But watch it well!
Let cool then add a handful of dried cranberries.

Layer with Greek-style yogurt, fresh fruit and enjoy!

Comments

Lorraine E said…
I love this granola! Your post reminds me that I need to make some more :) It looks delicious and I like the addition of coconut too!
Anna said…
If there's anyone with a real reason to be away from blogging for a while - it's you!! :-)

I have often looked at that granola recipe in 'Feast', but just haven't got around to trying it, don't know why. Maybe it's because I think I can't control myself around it!!

Yours looks so deliciously healthy, and as if it could keep you full-up for hours!
xx
Christina said…
This really does look delicious - never made granola before but will give it a go now! Unlike you, I adore cinnamon - no surprise given my Greek origins - and use it lots in sweet and savoury dishes.

Can you just tell me what you use for 'golden caster sugar' here? I tend to use the sucre de canne non raffiné by candico but wondered whether you use something else. Also, do you get your Maldon salt here in Lux? I haven't found it anywhere yet.

For all your healthy cereals, nuts and dried fruit, do you use Naturata in Munsbach? It is 5 mins drive from my house and I love it there. Great cafe and gift shop too!

Hope pregnancy going well.
julie said…
Thanks for your comments!

Anna, you're right, it's moreish, but it did keep me going from 9 'til 2 PM.

Christina, I do like cinnamon, just not in granola. I use exactly this sugar, I love its smell and taste. I bought my Maldon salt ages ago in Paris, I'm afraid.
You know what? They're about to open a Naturata near my place, on the Route d'Arlon. Otherwise I have been at the Rollingergrund store.
And, my daughter was born on Oct 22!!!
Christina said…
Wow - FELICITATIONS - two girls like me, perfect! Didn't realise you were so advanced...hope all going well....this understandably explains your absence. And you still find the time to make homemade granola...

Maldon salt is one of the very few things left on my list of 'must-haves-from-home'...oh, and I cleared Delhaize out of Haloumi last time I was there!!
julie said…
Merci :-)
Have you tried Little Britain in Cappellen for Maldon salt? Worth a phone call perhaps...
Christina said…
Haven't managed to get to Little Britain yet. I manage to keep stocked up on those few 'essentials' between visiting friends/relatives and trips back home! I understand it is worth a visit though.
You absolutely must get to the Naturata cafe - really delicious (and healthy)food. I was there again last week and I think you'd like and be inspired by it! The weekly menu is posted on their website in advance. Check it out. A bientôt.

Popular posts from this blog

Nigella's summer crumble

How has your summer been? Has everyone around you been complaining of the weather? Summer' s so much more than just sun and heat though... fruit,  farniente , ice-cream,  apéros  and walks...reading long books, so many little pleasures. Tossa de Mar And lest we forget to turn the oven on, to warm us up... Nigella's summer crumble (from Forever Summer ) is a fantastic way to use up those less-than satisfying apricots that everyone leaves in the fruit bowl, the ones a little less red, the mushy ones, and transform them into deep orange compote under the layer of almondy crumble. Or any other stone fruit for that matter. Parc Guell, Barcelona Summer crumble, adapted from Nigella Lawson in  Forever Summer 750g apricots, stoned and quartered 75g butter 100g self-raising flour or flour with 1/2 tsp baking powder a pinch of salt 25g ground almonds 75g caster sugar 50g flaked or chopped almonds Preheat the oven at 200C. Butter a gratin dish. Layer the fruit

La Réunion en recettes : cari de lotte et son riz au lait de coco

Enfin, je réalise d'autres recettes réunionnaises . La cuisine de la Réunion, au carrefour des continents, à l'image de sa population, associe des saveurs européennes, asiatiques, indiennes et africaines. Je vous propose le cari de lotte, tout simplement parce que je cherchais du poisson ce samedi-là, et que les queues de lotte m'ont tapé dans l'oeil. Pauvres lottes décapitées sur l'étal du rayon poissonnerie, eh oui, la lotte est moche, tellement moche qu'on l'appelle poisson-diable en allemand et en anglais (mais aussi poisson-moine/monkfish), aussi, on la propose souvent débarassée de son faciès. Oui, mais une fois rentrés à la maison, que faire de ces deux beaux filets? Ni une, ni deux, j'ouvre mes tomes de Nigella et Jamie et compulse les index, mais les recettes ne m'emballant pas trop, je pense soudain à en faire un cari et j'ouvre alors Cuisine des Iles de l'Océan Indien (Edisud), ramené lors de mon dernier voyage à la Réunion il y a

Pseudo goulasch hispanisant (avec ou sans mijoteuse)

Avec mes gadgets appareils culinaires, c'est par périodes. Parfois je fais des yaourts pendant des semaines, et puis après j'en ai marre, je les achète. J'avoue avoir assez rarement utilisé la mijoteuse , et surtout pour des plats à cuisson longue type ragoûts, curries, bourguignon, et aussi pour cuire des légumineuses. Mais cette semaine, j'ai décidé de m'en servir plus régulièrement, et de vous en faire profiter. Sympa, hein? ;-) Comme ressources, j'utilise ce livre , mais je ne l'aime pas trop, et surtout la Crockpot Lady , une mine d'or. Et parfois, j'improvise, comme ici, et le résultat était totalement délicieux. Saviez-vous qu'il est plus "écolo" de manger du porc que du boeuf? L'élevage de porcs abîme moins l'environnement que celui des boeufs, bien sûr pour être vraiment écolo, il faut manger végétarien voire vegan, mais à chacun ses convivtions, c'est déjà mieux de manger moins de viande, et de choisir volai